This is a delicious hearty soup, the very definition of a “comfort food” for a dreary day. Serve it on cold rainy days, accompanied with a fresh loaf of homemade bread or bread rolls. It is also a great way to Hint: this is perfect for leftover roasted chicken or chicken meat you’ve pulled from a chicken body after making your own chicken stock! This soup is yummy, and leaves little in the way of leftovers. In the unlikely event that there any left over, thin it slightly before when reheating.
- 4 cups of chicken broth
- 2 cups of water
- 2 cooked, boneless chicken breast halves, shredded
- 1 cup of fast cooking long grain rice
- 1/2 cup of wild rice with seasoning – below
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup butter
- 2 cups of cream
Ingredients: Dry Seasoning
- 1 tablespoon chicken bouillon powder
- 1 teaspoon dried onion flakes
- 1?2 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1?4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1?4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1?2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1?4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1?2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 1?2 teaspoons seasoning salt
- In a large pot over medium heat, combine broth, water and chicken.
- Bring just to boiling, then stir in rice, reserving seasoning packet.
- Cover and remove from heat.
- In a medium saucepan over medium heat, melt butter.
- Stir in the seasoning until mixture begins to bubble.
- Reduce the heat to low and slowly stir in the flour mixture by tablespoons to form a roux.
- Whisk in the cream a little at a time until fully incorporated and smooth.
- Cook until thickened – approximately 5 minutes.
- Stir cream mixture into broth and rice.
- Cook over medium heat until heated through, 10 to 15 minutes.