Chapati bread is the commonest, simplest, most popular bread in the sub-continent of South Asia (India, Pakistan, Bangladesh, etc.). It is the perfect accompaniment for spicy dishes, seafood and eggs. Bits of torn off chapati can be used as scoops for any main dish.
It is a flat, tortilla-like bread which is cooked on a skillet.
Whole Wheat Flat Breads
2 cups Indian whole wheat flour
1 teaspoon salt
1 Tablespoon vegetable oil
about 3/4 cup warm water (enough for a kneadable dough)
- Put flour in a large mixing bowl, setting aside about half a cup for rolling chapatis.
- Stir salt through the flour, then add ghee or oil and rub in with fingertips, as though making pastry.
- Add the measured water all at once, moisten all the flour and mix to a firm dough.
- Knead dough for at least 10 minutes or until dough is smooth and elastic. Since there is no leavening agent in these breads, kneading is used to develop lightness.
- Gather dough into a ball, put into a small bowl and cover tightly with plastic food wrap.
- Leave for 1 hour or longer. This resting period is also vital for making light, tender breads.
- Divide dough into balls of even size, about as big as a large walnut or small egg.
- Roll each out on a lightly floured board, lightly dusting board and rolling pin with reserved flour and keeping the shape perfectly round if possible.
- Roll out the chapatis to be cooked, and when starting to cook them, start with those which were rolled first, since the short rest between rolling and cooking makes the chapatis lighter.
- Heat a tawa, griddle or heavy frying pan, put the first chapati on the hot pan and leave for 1 minute on medium heat.
- Turn it over and place second side down.
- After a further minute, press lightly around the edges of the chapati with a folded tea towel to encourage the disc of bread to puff up and bubble. Do not overcook or the chapatis will become crisp and dry instead of pliable and tender.
- Wrap the cooked chapatis in a tea towel.
- Serve warm with butter, curry or other dishes.
Servings Makes 10-12 Serving Size 1
Calories 92 Protein 3 g
Fat 1.6 g Carbohydrates 16 g