Sour Prawn Curry
- 16 fresh prawns about 3″ long
- 4 cups of chicken stock
- 3 tablespoons of sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon ginger, freshly ground
- 2-3 tablespoons of sour curry paste
- 1/4 cup fish sauce – nam pla
- 1 tablespoon tamarind concentrate mixed with 3 tablespoons water
- 1-2 tablespoons palm sugar (to taste)
- 2 cups of very coarsely chopped green vegetables
- 1 cup of pineapple chunks (preferably fresh)
1. Peel, de-vein, and behead the shrimp, leaving only the small tail shells on.
2. add three tablespoons of sesame oil, one tablespoon of freshly ground ginger, and the sour curry paste
3.. mix and leave to marinate for one hour.
4. . Heat a wok and then stir fry the prawns in the marinade until they just starts to change colour.
5. remove from the stove and set aside
6. . Heat the stock to simmering point.
5. Add all the ingredients except the prawns and pineapple, and return it to the boil.
6. Add the prawns, and the marinade and simmer until the prawns are cooked through.
7. Add the pineapple, bring to the boil and then serve.
note: that this can also be prepared as a stir fry dish by simply omitting the chicken stock. (If it is a little dry, then add a couple of tablespoons of stock to the wok).