(Gaeng Masaman Nua)
- Peanut oil
- 1 tbsp Garlic chopped fine
- 1 tbsp Galangal chopped fine
- 1 tbsp Lemon grass chopped fine
- 1 tbsp Thai basil chopped
- 1-1/2 lb Stewing beef 1″ cubes
- 1-1/2 cup Coconut milk
- 2 tbsp Curry paste (Thai Musaman)
- 1 tbsp Lime zest shredded
- 1 tbsp Lime leaves shredded
- Fish sauce to taste
- 1-4 tsp Chili paste
- 2 cups Potatoes cut into 1″ cubes
- 1 cup Pearl onions
- a few peanuts tossed in at the end
First, prepare the curry paste and coconut milk seperately. Add the paste with some of the ‘cream’ from the coconut milk and heat until the oil starts to separate. Then, in a separate pan, heat peanut oil, garlic, galangal and lemon grass. Stir fry 1 minute until oil is aromatic.
Add beef and stir fry 3 minutes until lightly browned and add the curry paste/coconut cream mixture
Add the rest of the coconut milk, lime zest, lime leaves, basil, fish sauce and chili paste, bring to a boil, and reduce heat.
Simmer 45 minutes, until beef is tender.
When beef is just tender, add potatoes and onions to curry and simmer 30 minutes, until potatoes are cooked.
Yield – 6 cups