This delicious chicken red curry & bamboo shoots recipe dish is akin to that served across central Thailand. The soup base is created with coconut milk, fortified with juicy chunks of chicken thigh meat. The result is a smooth and creamy texture with delightfully exotic flavors from lemongrass, galangal, kaffir lime, dry roasted cumin, coriander, and peppercorns. Use either the Thai strong red chili paste (Prik Kaeng Pet). Alternatively, use a packaged red curry paste to make this.
1 pack AROY-D red curry paste (or 3.5 tbsp curry paste)
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1 lb chicken breast, cut into strips
- 1 bell pepper, cut into strips
- 1 handful green beans, remove the ends, and cut in half
- 8 oz canned bamboo shoot slices, drained
- 1 can coconut milk
- 6 kaffir lime leaves
- water to cover
- About 1 1/2 tbsp palm sugar
- 1 tbsp fish sauce to taste
Check the Ingredients pages for additional information on curry paste, coconut milk, palm sugar, and fish sauce.
How to Cook Thai Chicken Red Curry & Bamboo Shoots Recipe
1. Heat a wok or pot. Add oil and curry paste and saute for 1 minute. It will be very fragrant.
2. Add chicken, and stir fry until the outside of the chicken is no longer pink, and chicken is coated with curry paste.
3. Add the vegetables and stir fry until evenly coated with curry paste.
4. Add the coconut milk and enough water to cover. Stir well and cover the wok or pot. Bring to a boil.
5. Add the palm sugar and fish sauce. Cover and simmer on medium until the vegetables are cooked.
6. Serve with Thai jasmine rice.