A Mongolian Beef And Broccoli meal as a take-away is all very well… But even better if you do it yourself, and this Mongolian-style beef dish is delicious served on fragrant rice.
1 1/2 lbs flank steak, sliced into thin strips
The marinade for the beef:
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 tbsp cornstarch
- 1 tbsp low-sodium soy sauce
- 1 tbsp water
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
Mix the baking soda, sugar, cornstarch, soy sauce, water, and vegetable oil in a large bowl.
Toss the steak with the marinade, cover and refrigerate at least 1 hour.
- 1/2 c low-sodium soy sauce
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tbsp flour
- 1 tbsp sherry
- 3 tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 heads broccoli, crowns only
How to cook
- In a small bowl, stir together the soy sauce, brown sugar, garlic, flour and sherry until smooth. Set aside.
- In a large wok or saute pan, heat 2 tablespoons of the vegetable oil over high heat until shimmering.
- Add broccoli and saute 5 – 10 minutes, stirring often and then transfer the broccoli to a plate.
- Add the remaining tablespoon of oil to the hot pan.
- Add the marinated meat and half of the sauce mixture and saute for 5-8 minutes, stirring often, until the meat is cooked through and no longer pink.
- Stir in the broccoli and remaining sauce.
- Saute a minute more.