A Japanese rolled omelette or also known as tamagoyaki is one of the easiest Japanese cuisine often prepare together with other traditional Japanese breakfast side dishes. It is a rolled seasoned egg (omelette) grill or fry in a frying pan. It is every kid’s favorite because of its very enticing texture and its distinct sweet taste. Let’s see how it’s done.
- 4 pcs eggs
- vegetable cooking oil
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1 tbsp mirin (rice wine)
Japanese Tamagoyaki (rolled omelette)
- Using a fork, beat the eggs in a bowl.
- Put together 1 tbsp of soy sauce, mirin, sugar, and pinch of salt. Then mix the ingredients well.
- In a frying pan, pour a small amount of cooking oil and bring it on a medium heat. Make sure to keep you frying pan oiled while cooking.
- Once the frying pan becomes hot, add a small amount of the egg mixture. Leave it half-cooked and move it over to the other side of the frying pan.
- Pour a small amount of cooking oil and egg mixture on the frying pan again.
- Once it’s slightly cooked, sets it to top.
- Start to roll up the first cooked egg to the second egg mixture on the frying pan until a small rolled egg is created.
- Continue to add a small amount of egg mixture and cooking oil in the frying pan. Then roll out every cooked egg into another layer. Do the same to the remaining egg mixture until your egg roll gets larger.
- Once finished, remove the rolled egg (Tamagoyaki) from the frying pan. Wait until it’s cool enough and then slice it into pieces.
- Your Japanese rolled omelette (tamagoyaki) is now ready to be served!