This article will guide you on how to prepare the authentic Budaatai Huurga fried rice of Mongolia.
Corn, wheat, barley, and potatoes are the common crops produced in Mongolia. Although rice is not a usual food in the country, the locals embraced rice and it has become part of their daily meals.
One of their famous menu is the authentic Mongolian fried rice called Budaatai Khuurga (Budaatai Huurga).
This fried rice meal is usually made from leftover rice, but freshly cooked rice can also be used. It is mixed with different vegetables that are cut into strips like onions or green onion, bell peppers, white cabbage, and carrots. Adding cooked beef and egg will also add flavor to your Budaatai Khuarga fried rice dish.
This traditional Mongolian fried rice dish is flavored with cumin, chili powder or chili flakes, and light soy sauce. All the ingredients are mixed evenly and cooked in a low heat using a vegetable oil. Once the ingredients become tender and properly cooked, the Budaatai Khuurga Mongolian fried rice is ready to be served.
To be guided on how to prepare this easy-to-cook fried rice recipe, read the instructions below.
Budaatai Khuurga Mongolian Fried Rice Recipe
This recipe used leftover rice. If unavailable, you can use the newly cooked rice.
- 3 cups cooked rice (chilled)
- 3 beaten eggs/ uncooked egg mixture
- 1 cup roast or boiled beef (diced)
- 1 tsp cumin powder
- 1 tbsp light soy sauce
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil or beef fat
- 1/2 tsp chili flakes or chili powder
- 1/2 tsp salt to taste
- 2 large onions cut in half rings
- 200-300 g mixed vegetables cut in stripes (white cabbage, bell peppers, carrots)
- Add vegetable oil in a skillet and heat oil over medium high heat. Once the oil is warm, sauté onions and add other vegetables. Stir fry and set aside.
- In a different pan, add beaten egg and cook it for at least 30 seconds.
- Add rice above the egg and stir it with a spatula immediately so that the rice will be coated with the uncooked egg mixture.
- Season gradually and chop the rice until the grains are sorted out thoroughly. Do this for about 3 minutes. Lower the heat when the skillet starts to become too hot.
- Then spread beef on top of rice and swish in light soy sauce. Stir the mixture a few times. Then sprinkle cumin powder, salt and chili flakes.
- Add green onion and the stir fried vegetables and mix.
- Adjust the heat and lower when needed. Once all the ingredients are mixed evenly and desired taste of charred rice has been achieved, remove the pan from the heat and let the rice sit for a while so the bottom will become crispy.
Serve the fried rice while hot and flavor it with salt or pepper.
You can prepare this fried rice either for breakfast or lunch.
Cooking this menu isn’t time consuming. It is also budget friendly as you can use leftover meat and rice. Apart from that, you can customize its flavor by adding other ingredients and seasonings as preferred. And that’s everything about this mouthwatering Mongolian fried rice. Thank you for reading!