Yakitori is a Japanese term which literally means grilled chicken. It is made of small sizes of chicken meat including the thigh part. In our recipe, we will give our yakitori recipe a little twist by adding a scallion. Read on and learn how to prepare chicken thigh & scallion yakitori at the comfort of your home.
Preparation Time: 30-40 minutes
Cooking Time: 15-20 minutes
Number of servings: 11 skewers
- 1lb chicken thighs (preferably boneless and skinless)
- 10 green onions or scallions
- Canola or vegetable oil
For yakitori sauce (Tare):
- 2 tsp brown sugar
- ½ cup mirin
- ½ cup soy sauce
- ¼ cup water
- ¼ cup sake
- Prepare at least 12 pcs of clean metal or bamboo skewers
- Brush for applying the sauce to the chicken and scallion skewers
- Mini griller and charcoal (your preferred grilling equipment)
How to prepare Chicken Thigh & Scallion yakitori recipe (negima, ???)
- Prepare all the needed ingredients.
- Dip bamboo skewers in a clean water for at least 30 minutes to prevent them from burning.
- Add brown sugar, mirin, soy sauce, water, 1 green portion of the green onion/scallion, and sake into a small saucepan.
- Bring the mixture to boil over a high heat level.
- Once it starts boiling, lower the heat to simmer.
- Wait for at least 30 minutes until mixture reduces to half and becomes gleam and stocky.
- Then set aside to cool down, and separate at least half of the mixture/sauce to coat the cooked chicken thigh & scallion yakitori (negima).
- While waiting for the sauce to cool down, cut the scallions into pieces at least 1 inch long.
- Cut the boneless and skinless chicken thigh into pieces, same size as with the scallions.
- Using the wooden chopping board, prepare the cut chicken thigh and scallions.
- Fold the sliced chicken into half, then push the skewer into the center of the sliced chicken until it reaches the bottom part of the bamboo skewer. Alternate it with a sliced scallion joined perpendicularly.
- One bamboo skewer should have at least 4 sliced chicken and 3 sliced scallions. Once done preparing for raw chicken thigh and scallion yakitori, set them aside.
- Then put some oil on the grate of the charcoal grill or a mini griller (depending on the grilling equipment you are using) to prevent sticking.
- Then put the skewered chicken thigh & scallion yakitori on the griller and wait for a couple of minutes until cooked. After around 6-8 minutes, put sauce on both side of the skewered chicken thigh & scallion using a brush. Observe the color of your skewer and make sure not to overcook.
- Once the sauce has caramelized, remove the skewers from the griller and move them to a clean serving plate.
- Using the remaining sauce, put final coatings on the skewered chicken thigh & scallions.
- If needed, re-boil the remaining sauce before using it for final coating.
- Your Chicken Thigh & Scallion yakitori (negima) is now ready to be served!