In this recipe, we will be preparing the plain yakitori skewer chicken thigh (momo) with sweet soy sauce. There is no need for us to marinade the chicken thigh meat as we will brush the sauce on the meat itself while grilling. And we will be grilling skewers under the oven grill or broiler.
Preparation Time: 30-40 minutes
Grilling Time: 15 minutes
Number of servings: 12 skewers
- 1lb chicken thigh
- ½ cup of Japanese soy sauce
- ½ cup of mirin
- 1tbsp brown sugar
Equipment for skewering:
- 12 bamboo skewers
- Oven grill/broiler
How to prepare Chicken Thigh yakitori recipe (momo)
- Soak the bamboo skewers in water for about 30 minutes.
- Cut the chicken thigh into small pieces about 1 inch in size.
- In a small saucepan or a pot, add the soy sauce, mirin, and brown sugar. Then bring to a boil over a medium heat until it simmers.
- Once the quantity of the mixture becomes half, set aside and cool down.
- Begin to make chicken thigh (momo) skewers. Fold a piece of chicken thigh into two and thread around onto the bamboo skewers. Put at least 5 small pieces of chicken thigh in one bamboo skewer.
- After preparing the yakitori skewers, line them in a large baking tray with aluminum foil and then put an oil on the rack or griller so that the skewers will not stick into griller.
- Turn on the oven grill or broiler to high heat level.
- Brush both sides of the chicken thigh yakitori skewers before putting them on the rack or griller.
- Then put the baking tray below the oven grill.
- After about 5 minutes, remove the baking tray from the oven grill and then flip them into the other side then brush the cooked side with sauce. Then put it back below the grill.
- After another 5 minutes, take the tray out again and flip the skewers one more time then pour sauce on the cooked side.
- If needed, do steps 11 one more time to make sure that the skewers are cooked thoroughly.
- Then remove the chicken thigh yakitori skewers from the baking tray and put them on a serving plate.
- Your Chicken Thigh yakitori skewers are now ready to be served!