Maja Blanca is a Filipino dessert pudding made of coconut milk and sweet corn that can either be topped with shredded cheese and or toasted coconut. It is a perfect delicious dessert for any special occasion or at any time of the day for that delicious snack. The dessert is sometimes called “coconut pudding”. If you want to know how to make Maja Blanca, try this easy Maja Blanca recipe below and let me know what you think.
Making Maja Blanca is pretty easy and only requires few ingredients that is not only readily available but accessible in the market too. Other than that, the steps are pretty simple and not complicated to follow. Originally, Maja Blanca’s are topped with what we called “Latik” or coconut oil that usually happens when the coconut milk is simmered under medium to low heat for a period of time. But we will not be using latik in this Maja Blanca recipe.
Maja Blanca Recipe
Tips on how to make Maja Blanca
- During the boiling process, make sure to not allow it to rapidly boil. This is to prevent the coconut milk from thickening and separating.
- To achieve a more creamier texture, make sure to use the first coconut extraction or “Kakang Gata”.
- Baking dish suggestion: use a 9×6 inch, although an 8×8 inch dish should be fine as well.
- For a more flavorful corn, make sure to sure the liquid from the packaging can rather than using water.
- If you are in a hurry and doesn’t have the time to make the latik, you can use dried coconut flakes as a substitute. Wait for it to be golden brown in color and sprinkled on top of the Maja Blanca dessert.
- Coconut milk- used as it is where of course you get the coconut flavor.
- Condensed milk- where the sweetness and creaminess of Maja Blanca dessert comes from.
- Whole Kernel Corn- used to add more texture to the Maja Blanca dessert.
- Evaporated milk- evaporated milk, condensed milk and milk are usually used. The milk and evaporated milk adds that milky flavor while the condensed milk is used for that added sweetness
- Cornstarch- To help thicken the mixture of the milk, cornstarch is used. Since Maja Blanca is also known as coconut pudding, the cornstarch will give Maja Blanca a gelatin or pudding texture.
How To Make Maja Blanca
- Preparation time: 5 mins
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Total time: 20 minutes
Maja Blanca Ingredients:
- 2 canned coconut milk
- 1 cup sweetened condensed milk
- 1 1/2 cup evaporated milk or fresh milk
- 1 can sweet corn kernels (drained)
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup cold water
- 1/2 cup cornstarch
- 1/4 cup Dessicated coconut flakes
- Grated cheese (optional)
- Combine coconut milk, condensed milk and evaporated milk, sweet corn kernels and sugar in a saucepan placed over medium heat.
Gently bring mixture to a gentle boil while at the same time stirring constantly. Wait for sugar to be dissolved.
- Combine cornstarch and cold water in a small bowl, wait for mixture to smoothen completely or until cornstarch dissolves.
- Add coconut milk then whisking at the same time. This will prevent the lumps to form.
While occasionally whisking, wait for mixture turns texture from thick to smooth paste.
- Greased 8×8 square pan, transfer mixture into the square pan. Make sure you use a spatula for an even smooth surface on the baking dish.
- Allow Maja Blanca pudding to cool down.
- Once cooled down, cover and refrigerate pudding for at least an 1 hour or about 2 hours.
- Sprinkle top of Maja Blanca pudding with toasted coconut flakes or grated cheese . Cut pudding into squares and served.
Interested in other recipes? Feel free to comment below. Also, let me know your experience along the way. I look forward to hearing from you.